Dogs and cats encounter many of the same problems people have in moving to a new place.
They must become used to a new house and neighborhood, unfamiliar sounds strange postal carriers and other service people, water that does not agree with them, and a colder or warmer climate.
Once accustomed to the changes, the pet will settle down and be content.
It is advisable to keep the pet confined until it realizes that this is the new home and that the family is going to stay, or it may wander off and try to return to the old home. This is especially true of cats, and they should be confined for several weeks.
To speed that “at home” feeling, use the pet’s familiar food and water dishes, bed, blanket, toys, and so forth. Try to put them in the same sort of location as they were in the old home water dish by the back door, food dish in a particular spot in the kitchen, and so forth.
It is best to keep your bird where it will be undisturbed until it becomes used to its new surroundings. Other small pets usually have few or no adjustment problems other than becoming used to a change in the water supply.This is also true of tropical fish to avoid harming them, test the water for similarity to that in your old home and adjust it to the requirements of the fish.
Cold therapy is universally used to minimize damage following injury and help equine athletes heal faster during injury rehabilitation.
Cold therapy has a local anesthetic effect. Cold therapy (Ice Wraps) can significantly reduce pain and inhibit reflexive muscle spasms in your horse. Early use of cold therapy on horses can reduce primary bleeding through its vasoconstrictive effects, and thus inhibit swelling.
Reducing tissue temperature can lower the metabolic rate of both the involved and uninjured cells. This reduction in the metabolic rate decreases the demand for oxygen. This helps to break the secondary hypoxic injury cycle and making the horse’s body’s repair job easier.
Save at IceWraps.net with $5.99 everyday low shipping!
We recommend the Equine Ice Wrap Kit
- The kit includes a small refreezable cooler and two pairs of leg wraps for the quarter horse.
- The patented Coldone 3 layer design compresses to drive cold deep to reduce or stop swelling.
- The outer layer of heavy neoprene provides stretch and compression.
- The center layer is 100% non-toxic freezable gel which is also flexible and comfortable.
- The inner layer is of fine linen to prevent cold shock to the skin.
- No messy ice, no inserts, and can be easily applied by rider or trainer.
- Refreezes in 4 hours.
*The quarter horse leg wraps are smaller than the warm blood leg wraps, and should only be used for the front legs of the quarter horse. The warm blood equine kit or leg wrap pairs should be used for the hind legs of the quarter horse.
IN SUMMARY – COLD THERAPY:
- Decreases pain and muscle spasms.
- Decreases swelling.
- Initiates a state of “hibernation” in cells, keeping them alive during oxygen shortage.
- Reduces bleeding by increasing blood viscosity and enhancing coagulation.
Sentry Natural Defense for Dogs
How Does Natural Defense Work?
Certain plants contain compounds that give them the ability to defend themselves against insects. Natural Defense is a synergistic blend of botanical extracts including peppermint oil, cinnamon oil and lemongrass oil. This combination of oils significantly enhances the pesticidal activity of Natural Defense.
Octopamine is a key neurotransmitter found in insects, it is the insect’s equivalent of adrenaline. It regulates their heart rate, behavior and metabolism. The unique molecular structure targets and blocks octopamine neurotransmitter receptors in insects. Blocking octopamine results in a total breakdown of the insect’s central nervous system. As mammals, fish and birds have no receptors for octopamine, the ingredients do not have this affect on them… or people!
Directions for Use
Do not use on animals under the age of 12 weeks. Do not get this product in your pet’s eyes or mouth. Do not bathe pet within the first 24 hours after squeeze-on has been applied. Households with more than one pet should not allow pets to groom each other until solution has dried. Pets may be treated indoors or outdoors. Safe to repeat application as often as needed. Apply contents of one tube as a spot or stripe, starting high on the back of your pet’s neck to in front of the shoulder blades. In order to help reduce the occurrence of fleas and ticks, this product is best if used year around.
How to Apply
Remove product tube from package. Holding tube with notched end pointing up and away from the face and body, cut or tear off the narrow end at the notches. While holding the animal with one hand use the other to apply the solution. Invert the tube, and use the narrow end to part the animal’s hair while gently squeezing to apply to the animal’s skin. Hold the animal for a few seconds to give the solution time to be absorbed into the animal’s coat. When finished, wrap the tube in paper and put into the trash.
National Pet Week is widely celebrated throughout the United States and other parts of the world.
In 2012, National Pet Week is celebrated from May 6-12.
The goals of National Pet Week are to promote responsible pet ownership, celebrate the human-animal bond, and promote public awareness of veterinary medicine.
- There are more dog owners than cat owners in America, but more cats than dogs in those homes?
- There are 43 million dog owning households compared with 37.5 million cat owning households, but 81.7 million cats compared to 72 million dogs.
- About 64% of all pet-owning households owned more than one pet.
- Women are the primary caregivers for pets (74%)
- Five of the top 10 pet owning states are in the Northwest- Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.
Pet ownership has many benefits.
One of the more interesting effects is the health and medical benefits that pets have on humans. There have been numerous studies that have verified positive health and medical effects in a vast array of different areas. Consider for example that studies have shown the following:
- Senior citizens that own a dog frequent their doctor less than those that do not own a dog.
- Daily activity levels of seniors that are not pet owners deteriorated faster than those of pet owners.
- Pet owners have lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Children that own pets scored higher on empathy and pro social orientation scales than non-pet owners.
- Positive self esteem within children is enhanced by pet ownership.
- Pet owners have higher one year survival rates following coronary heart disease.
- Pets decrease feelings of loneliness and isolation.
For a more detailed listing of this information and other relevant articles visit the Delta Society which is an organization that promote human health improvement through service and therapy animals.
As a pet owner myself who has experienced the joy of pet ownership I can say that I am not entirely surprised by these results. It’s well known that our own personal happiness has definite effect on our physical well being. Pets can certainly provide the companionship and love that boost self esteem and psychological well being.
We could not resist posting these stats. If you are a pet owner, we think that you may be able to relate to some of these statistics if not all of them. Please share other interesting statistics in the comments!
- 83% of pet owners refer to themselves as their pet’s mom or dad
- 70% of pet owners sign their pet’s names on greeting cards (along with thier kid’s names)
- 18% of dog owners say they have included or would include their pet in their wedding
- 66% of dog owners say they would refuse to date someone who didn’t like their pet
- 21% of dog owners say their dog sleeps in their bed with them
- At least 25% of cats are obese or likely to become obese (not sure how you categorize likely?)
- Between 25-40% of dogs are considered obese
- 64% of US households own a pet (2011 statistic)
- 45% of US households own more than 1 pet
- 40% of US households own a dog
- There are 90 million cats in the USA and 73 million dogs
- 78% of dog owners buy their pets several gifts a year – for birthdays and holidays
- 51% of cat owners have bought their pet a gift within the last 12 months
- 60% of dog owners purchase Dog Chew Toys for their dogs
- 30% of dog owners own Dental Care Products – Treats & Toys for their pet. This includes toothbrush, floss, mouthwash and whitening products.
- 34 million dogs traveled with their owners in 2011
Do you have footage of your beloved pets or family on old formats like VHS tapes, family reels, dog and cat photos and whole family slides?
It’s time to get them transferred to digital before it gets too expensive or you just can’t do it!
Back when you created your videotapes, they were truly ideal, and they were the best there was at the time. But those video tapes of your dogs, cats, pets, children and/or beloved senior family members can fade. Over time, they will break down every time you watch them. Truly, the only way to preserve them forever is to convert them to digital and now there is a super easy way to do that.
YesVideo is one of the fastest, most convenient and inexpensive ways to transfer them.
Within 10 to 20 years your family and pet home videos may become unwatchable, and your special memories will go POOF!
Did you shoot your digital videos in HD? YesVideo can create a hi-definition Blu-ray movies from your photos & HD videos.
- Digital Videos & Photos to DVD or Blu-ray Disc
- Videotapes (Camcorder Tapes & VHS) to DVD
- Movie Film Reels to DVD
- 35mm Slides to DVD
- Photo Prints to DVD
- Videotapes & Movie Film Reels (transfer online only – no DVDs)
- Additional DVD Copies (at time of original order)
- 90 days Online Viewing, Sharing, Digital Protection
- YesVideo MemorySafe Gift Certificates
CLICK HERE TO SAVE 20% on your first order – courtesy of PETAZON!
The weather is warmer and dogs are going to be taking great long walks.
Be ready to supply your dog with fresh water during the walk with the convenience of a travel waterer.
Available in 2 sizes:
Porta Le Bistro Hand-held water dispenser for dogs on the go, perfect for the park, walks, the beach, hiking, camping, in the car.