For most pondkeepers, March is a bit too early to open the pond, but many water garden enthusiasts will see the sun peeking out and start getting the pond “bug”.
MarchÂ is a great time to take inventory of your pond equipment and decide what needs to be repaired and what upgrades you may need to make this season.
There are many new pond products available this season to make pond maintenance easier and your pond more efficient. Consider adding a new pressure filter that is easier to clean and is healthier for your pond if you don’t already use one. UV clarifiers are the best way to combat green water which is a challenge for many pondkeepers.Â Consider a clarifier if your pond tends toward the murky.
Finally, if you plan to upgrade by adding a waterfall or stream to your pond this year, consider adding a second pond pump that can be used only when you want to run the new water feature. This is more energy efficient and will save you money in the long run.
A few moreÂ tips when opening up your pond this spring:
- Check your pond for any areas that may require repairs.
- Remove any accumulated debris, leaves and junk from the pond.
- Remove and dry the de-icer (if applicable), then store properly for next season.
- Â Inspect and replace pond tubing and fittings that are leaking.
- Start up the pond pump and pondÂ filter in shallow water to ensure they are working properly.
- Replace up to 25% of the pond water with tap water.
- Remember to add a pond water conditioner to remove chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals found in most tap water.
- Examine fish for activity; ensure they are not struggling and are visibly healthy.
- Begin feeding according to seasonal feeding cycle.
- Lastly, if you need new equipment – shop at Petazon’s Pond Equipment Price Comparison Engine to find the lowest price!
We are excited about pond season beginning and hope you are too!