National Pet Week is widely celebrated throughout the United States and other parts of the world.
In 2012, National Pet Week is celebrated from May 6-12.
The goals of National Pet Week are to promote responsible pet ownership, celebrate the human-animal bond, and promote public awareness of veterinary medicine.
- There are more dog owners than cat owners in America, but more cats than dogs in those homes?
- There are 43 million dog owning households compared with 37.5 million cat owning households, but 81.7 million cats compared to 72 million dogs.
- About 64% of all pet-owning households owned more than one pet.
- Women are the primary caregivers for pets (74%)
- Five of the top 10 pet owning states are in the Northwest- Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.