Pet ownership has many benefits.
- Senior citizens that own a dog frequent their doctor less than those that do not own a dog.
- Daily activity levels of seniors that are not pet owners deteriorated faster than those of pet owners.
- Pet owners have lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Children that own pets scored higher on empathy and pro social orientation scales than non-pet owners.
- Positive self esteem within children is enhanced by pet ownership.
- Pet owners have higher one year survival rates following coronary heart disease.
- Pets decrease feelings of loneliness and isolation.
For a more detailed listing of this information and other relevant articles visit the Delta Society which is an organization that promote human health improvement through service and therapy animals.